Tuesday, February 7, 2017

What are you going to do with that?


I get asked this a lot. By relatives, parents, and friends back home. 

Whether it’s about my Communication major or how my job as an Resident Assistant will “help me in the future”. What they don’t understand is that I’m not just enforcing policy, I’m not just doing arts and crafts, I’m not just holding floor meetings and doing ice breakers - I’m building a community.



Community is a word Residence Life throws around without much context. In short, it’s my job and privilege to help residents create strong and healthy relationship with one another. Whether it’s having Bachelor watch parties or just spending a night doing homework together in the common space. I get to see student grow into independent young adult over the course of the year, and if you think we don’t notice, trust me- we do. I’ve seen you get more serious about your homework, I’ve seen you make friends with the room down the hall, I’ve seen you become invested in your intramurals team, I’ve seen you get connected with a student organization, I’ve seen you hanging out with friends from across campus, I’ve seen you. We have seen you.




 If you ever feel like no one see you, just remember - we do.

-Emmi Infante, Resident Assistant

No comments:

Post a Comment