Thursday, March 30, 2017

UWL Has a Very Special Place in My Heart

Well, we’re now on the other side of Spring Break, and the end of the semester feels right around the corner. This time of year can always feel bittersweet, but for me especially, I know that closing the residence hall this year will be harder than any other time before. My name is Becky Schwartz. I am a Senior Staff RA in Eagle Maroon, and this May will be my graduation and my last closing as an undergraduate student staff member. As I approach my final weeks at UWL, I reflect on my time here and the impact this department has had on me. And let me tell you, it’s a big one…


From my freshman year roommate and RA, I learned college is what you make of it, and to take advantage of opportunities that come your way. Without her, the past 4 years of my life would have been very different. From my residents from each of my three years on staff, I learned that there is much more going on underneath the surface. The students at UWL are so dynamic and hard working. I’ve had the pleasure to make pancakes, comfort them with Kleenex and hugs, get pied in the face for charity, clean up messes, and go on countless bluff hikes, just to name a few.

From my Laux Hall Director and Staff Team, I learned to ‘embrace the awkward’ and that courage can take many forms. I learned to be vulnerable. During that year, I had felt like I had truly found ‘my people’ in Residence Life. I learned that we grow the most when we aren’t the most comfortable, and I learned to embrace my individuality and vulnerability.To my Hutch Hall supervisors and the Hutch Team, thank you for teaching me grace. (Both getting and giving.) I learned that sometimes the hardest thing to be is yourself, and that there is insurmountable strength in being soft. I also learned that it’s important to take a break- you can’t pour from an empty glass.

From my summer staff team, I learned that La Crosse during the summer is possibly one of the most beautiful places, with some of the most wonderful people. I also learned that exactly how much work the Residence Life department puts into ensuring that pro-staff, student staff, and residence get the most out of their training and experiences at UWL. (And let me tell you, it’s a lot!)



From my current Eagle Maroon Staff Team, Core Team and Hall Director, I’ve learned that Residence Life is the place where I’d like to be for a long while. I found my footing in my Senior Staff position, and I learned how to be adaptable and embrace changes. I’ve been so touched by the family we’ve created, and I’d hope more than anything that I’ll be able to provide those feelings and opportunities for my future work teams.

So, dear Reader, if there’s one takeaway from this post, it’s that UWL has a very special place in my heart. The care that the students, administrators, and staff put into this department is like no other. For them, I am forever grateful. If you ever get the chance to be a part of the UWL Residence Life Department, I would tell you without hesitation to take the opportunity. You might just find ‘your people’ here too. 

-Becky Schwartz
Senior Staff-Resident Assistant, Eagle Maroon 2016-2017

No comments:

Post a Comment